B-771

Spanish Bicorn Hat, Circa 1920

Antique bicorn hat belonging to an engineering officer from the era of Alfonso XIII. Comes with original case and key.

Sold!

authentication_certify

Antique ceremonial bicorn hat for agricultural engineers from around 1900. Comes with original case and key.

This item is a period ceremonial bicorn hat belonging to the civilian corps of agricultural engineers and stored in its original case. It dates from the reign of Alfonso XIII (18861931) and was manufactured in Spain. The bicorn hat comes in its original lacquered metal case, which still has the lock and key in perfect working order. It is magnificently preserved and in impressive condition given its age. It is undoubtedly an authentic and rare piece.

The bicorn hat shown in the images is lined with black fur on both outer sides and the central inner portion. The brims feature beautiful gold-thread embroidery that contrasts strikingly and effectively with the black lining. On one side, there is a silk rosette in the colors of the Spanish flag, adorned with a series of gold and brown cords that fasten to a gold button. The interior of the hat is lined with white silk and bears the stamp of the hat shop where it was made: JUSTO GÓMEZ, an establishment located in Madrid until his death in 1926. The storage case is made of sheet metal and painted brown, decorated with a fine gold trim.

This fantastic Spanish bicorn hat is a historic piece, as well-preserved as it is decorative and fascinating.

Royal Corps of Agricultural Engineers

The first uniforms issued to agricultural engineers were defined by the Royal Order of April 2, 1878, issued at the proposal of the General Directorate of Public Instruction, Agriculture, and Industry. Interestingly, the decree refers to the corps coat of arms, even though, strictly speaking, the Corps of Agricultural Engineers had not yet been founded (it would be established by Royal Decree of February 14, 1879). The uniform was ratified in the Organic Regulations of the Corps of Agricultural Engineers of 1887 (Royal Decree of December 9 / G. 15). In 1879, the Corps consisted of chief engineers, first engineers, second engineers, and third engineers. The 1878 regulation defined the dress, duty, and field uniforms. For dress uniform, they wore a turquoise blue tailcoat, a sword, and a bicorn hat.

Customers who bought this product also bought:

27 other products in the same category: